Q. What is SCONUL Access?
The University of Essex is a member of SCONUL Access, a scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
If you are:
- an academic on an open or fixed term contract
- a postgraduate research student registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification
- a part-time, distance learning and placement student
- or a full-time postgraduate
you may be able to borrow from other college or university libraries.
If you are:
- a full-time undergraduate student
- staff of a small number of higher education libraries not participating in the scheme
you may be able to use the resources of other college and university libraries for reference.
If you would like tbe a part of this scheme, please go to the SCONUL Access website and apply online. Please be aware that some member libraries may not offer access to all categories of user.
N.B. SCONUL Access visitors applying for use of the University of Essex library should note that applications can only be processed Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
Access to students from other universities applies to our Colchester and Loughton libraries.
There is no SCONUL access at Southend (The Forum) Library which means that SCONUL users cannot borrow University books or study on the Second Floor of The Forum. However, everyone can access the ground and first floors of Southend (The Forum) Library as it is a public library as well as an academic library.