Q. Using the Special Collections
The Special Collections Reading Room will reopen to researchers from the University of Essex from 14th September. Below are details of how visits can be booked and how the Reading Room can be used at this time.
- Access is currently limited to University of Essex staff and students only.
- Any member of staff or student wishing to use the Collections must have completed the return to campus Moodle courses, staff or student agreement on returning to Campus, and been cleared to return to Campus with the University of Essex risk assessment.
- Timed slots must be booked in advance of the visit.
- Slots are limited to two separate visitors at any one time.
- The timings are 9.30 am to 12.30 pm and /or 1.30 pm to 4.30 pm
- Slots may be booked on EITHER Monday and/or Tuesday OR Thursday and/or Friday. There will be no access on Wednesdays at present.
- Slots are not guaranteed and staff will email you to confirm your slot or suggest the next suitable time and date.
- Materials needed for research must be requested in advance and will be retrieved in advance by a member of Library staff.
- Photography of materials will be permitted (provided the materials are not copyright), but there will be no access to photocopying or scanning equipment
At the library
- On arrival at the Library, patrons will be met by a member of the team.
- Masks (covering the mouth and nose) must be worn at all times while in the Library building.
- Patrons will be required to wash their hands thoroughly (for a minimum of 20 seconds) before handling Special Collections materials (facilities will be available on the ground floor of the library). We ask that you do not use alcohol-based sanitiser whilst handling Special Collections, as this can damage them
- Patrons are asked to observe appropriate social distancing while in the Library
- Normal regulations for the use of Special Collections materials still apply:
- No food or drink to be consumed in the Reading Room
- No notes or marks to be made on the materials
- All written notes to be made using pencil (please note that we are unable to lend stationery at this time)