Q. Book request service
From Monday the 5th of October a new Book Request service will begin.
This new service will replace the current Click and Collect system and will allow you to request physical books from the library shelves while these parts of the library remain closed.
To use the service, search for the book you would like using the search bar on our homepage. If the book is available on the shelves you can click on the 'Request it' button next to the title.
Once you have clicked "Request it" you have to specify the pick up location and submit your request (see screenshot below):
If your request is successful you will then see the following pop-up, which means your request is being processed:
Please do not come to collect your books until you have received a confirmation email that they are ready to collect. This make take up to 7 working days.
Once you receive an email you will have up to 5 working days to collect. We cannot hold items for longer as we do not have the physical space on the shelves.
You can request up to 5 books at one time, but please note that your requests may not be ready for collection at the same time.
Please check our Opening times before travelling in to collect a book
If you would like to check how many requests you have submitted you can see a list on your library account page. Please note that this does not mean they are ready to collect.
Terms and Conditions
- You can request books as long as they are available on the shelves at Colchester and Loughton
- Please note, if you request an intercampus loan, these may take up to 2 weeks to arrive at your home campus. Intercampus requests may be denied if the item is in high demand.
- Items located in the stores at Colchester are available to request with the exception of Store C, Theses, microfilm or reference use only items.
- If a thesis is required please use the Essex Research Repository or British Library EThOS service. If the thesis you require is not available using these services, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with detail of the specific item you wish to view.
- Books out on loan cannot be recalled from the current borrower.
- Please wait until you have received a confirmation email that the item is ready to collect before travelling to the library.
- When entering the library, you will need to wear a face covering and will be asked to present your student or staff card for Test and Trace purposes.
- Currently, this service is only available to staff and students of the University.
- If you have requested to pick up your items from Loughton campus, please check our advice on parking and visiting campus before you travel.