Q. How do I reserve study space at Colchester?
From Monday 5th October, students and staff of the University of Essex will be able to reserve individual quiet study space in our Library Reading Room and Postgraduate Room (for Postgraduates only), and silent space in our training room on our ground floor.
Due to a limited amount of space available we are unable to accommodate Alumni, SCONUL or visitors.
If study space is required you must pre book an allocated study space, which you will be able to do up to a week in advance through our library website.
Only one slot per day can be booked between 30 minutes and 4 hours. However you can book more than one slot in a week, up to a maximum of 8 hours total.
Please note the booking conditions below:
1. On arrival please come to the main library entrance with proof of booking and your University ID card. You will not be admitted to the Library without both items.
2. Face coverings must be worn at all times while in the library building
3. Maintain 2 metres social distance from others using the library
4. Study spaces are single occupancy only. Please come alone to your booking.
5. Please check-in to your allocated study space on arrival and check-out again once you are ready to leave. There will be a QR code / web address and instructions on the desk.
6. Always use your allocated desk as these have been spaced out to ensure social distancing is maintained.
7. Wipe down the work surface, computer keyboard and mouse before and after use using the disinfectant wipes provided at the sanitation station.
8. Hand sanitiser dispensers are available around the library for your use. Please wash your hands or use the hand sanitiser before and after your booking.
9. Please leave promptly at the end of your booked time slot.
10. Please cancel your booking if no longer required.
11. Please select your study space carefully and follow the rules of the zone you are in
12. We have a mixture of workspaces with and without PCs. Be sure to choose a space that meets your study needs.
13. You can book up to 8 hours per week
-One slot per day
-Minimum booking is 30 minutes, maximum booking is 4 hours.
14. The Reading room and Postgraduate (PG) room are Individual Quiet study zones. The Training room is a Silent zone
15. Please only book a space in the Postgraduate room in Colchester if you are a PG student. The room is card access controlled and will only open if you are a postgraduate student.
16. Study spaces are in the Individual Quiet study zone.
NHS Test and Trace
17. The data you provide in the booking form may be shared as part of the NHS Test and Trace service in the event of another user testing positive for Covid. Your information will be used for no other purpose and won’t be kept for longer than 21 days.