Using the Libby app
See also our FAQ on setting up your account in Libby.
The Libby app allows you to read ebooks and listen to audiobooks from the library's Overdrive collection of leisure and wellbeing titles. If you have borrowed a titles through the Overdrive webpages, you will also be able to access these through the app.
Browsing the collection
Selecting the library symbol from the bottom menu bar (shown below highlighted with a red box) will allow you to browse the collections
- Selecting the title you are interested in will give you options to Borrow or Read a sample.
- You can borrow a title for 7 days and can have up to 3 books on loan at a time
- To view the titles you currently have on loan, press the book symbol on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to see your Shelf
- The Shelf page allows you to access the books you have currently borrowed to listen to audiobooks or read ebooks.
- If you finish a book early, you can return it to make it available for others to borrow. Just click on 'Manage loan' and then 'Return early'.
- To see the range of Accessibility options, press the centre button on the menu bar at the bottom of the page
- Scroll down and select 'Settings' under Help and Support
- Then click Accessibility Features
- From here you can choose options for book colours, reduce text variation etc
Adding another library
If you are a member of another library who uses Libby (Essex public libraries also use this app), you can add your library card with them to access their collections in addition to the University's collections.
- Click on the settings button in the centre of the menu bar at the bottom of the page.
- Then click on Add Library and follow the instructions to add your local library