How do I borrow a book through Overdrive?
Overdrive contains ebooks and audiobooks for wellbeing and leisure reading. You can access these in a few different ways:
1. By searching Overdrive in the main library search. The resource should appear at the very top of the search results as below:
2. From the A-Z of databases and e-resources list (found on our homepage under Your Resources). Navigate to 'O' and scroll down to select Overdrive.
3. Downloading the Libby App to your own device. For more information about setting up the Libby app, please see the How to set up my account in the Libby app FAQ.
Browsing and borrowing through the Overdrive webpage
1. Once you are on the Overdrive homepage, click on Sign in in the top right corner. This will prompt you to log in with your Essex email address and password.
2. Browse the homepage for recently added titles and curated lists (eg Wellbeing collection) or use the Search option at the top right to search for specific titles.
3. Once you find a title you would like to borrow, click on the borrow option. This will add the title to your account for 7 days.
4. If you selected an ebook, you will be given the option to read it in your browser, or download it to your PC.
5. If you borrowed an Audiobook, you will be given the option to listen through your browser, or a link to download the Libby app to your own device.
6. You can borrow up to 3 titles at a time
7. You can view any of the titles you have borrowed by clicking on 'My Account', then 'Loans' from the menu bar at the top right of the page.
8. If you finish the book early, you can return it from your 'My Account' page and make it available for others to borrow.